POSTED BY on 6:56 AM under ,
Jim Shoulak has been playing guitar for over 25 years and has recorded two other albums. He has performed at all sorts of functions and loves sharing his gifts of song and storytelling with any audience - even if it’s just one other person.

I'm A Catholic! - There have been times in my life when I didn't stand up for and defend my faith. Maybe it was a joke someone told that was improper, or a misconception re-told as if it were the truth about Catholicism, or maybe it was a criticism about the Church that was unfair. In any case, in 1994, I decided to write down all the things I cherish about my Catholic faith and put them into a song. I figured: at least when I sing the song, I'll be letting my feelings known! ...And maybe the Church needs a "pep rally" type of song sometimes...

Sister Mary Boniface - I always had a good relationship with nuns. From grade school to high school to college and beyond, I've admired these dedicated women. This story is based on some wonderful Sisters of St. Agnes I recall from my childhood. (There was no woman named Sr. Mary Boniface in my life. The fictitious sister in this story was named after St. Boniface Catholic church in Manitowoc, Wis., where my ancestors attended so many baptisms, First Communions, graduations, weddings and funerals.)

Bless Me, Father - The Sacrament of Reconciliation is so important to me. It's a time to re-examine my life and often, get pointed in a better direction. When I receive absolution, I feel a sort of "re-baptism," the wonderful feeling of being washed clean. This is one of the most autobiographical songs on the album. I dedicate this song to all inactive Catholics, and those Catholics who have chosen to worship elsewhere. I pray God will ease the hurt and pain you feel, and heal the division(s) which separate us. I hope for your reconciliation with the Church someday.

Holy Is His Name (Mary's Waltz) - Written on a youth retreat in 1984, it's one of the few instances in my life when the words and music for a song arrived in my head at the same time. From the start, the lyrics and melody seemed inseparable. This version is a re-arrangement of the 1995 release of "Holy Is His Name." In this re-working, I was looking for a waltz feel, thinking that Mary's joy must have made her dance around the house, after being visited by an angel and having been asked to be the Mother of God's Son.


From the album Ten Stories:
0 comments so far:

Copyright Sonitus Sanctus | Using the GreenTech Theme | Bloggerized by Falcon Hive.com