POSTED BY on 9:33 PM under ,
Here's a debate that only the most well-versed controversialists will care about...and I gladly include myself in that number. The debate concerns the kerfuffle surrounding the famed latria / dulia distinction in the Old Testament. In short, the Right Reverend Bishop James White, the Reformed Baptist head of Alpha and Omega Ministries, and his ilk have claimed that Catholics offer latria to the Saints (particularly the Blessed Mother). Not being idolaters (notice the root word there), we disagree. In particular, William Albrecht disagrees, and he says as much to Francis Turretin in the following debate:


Also, Mr. Albrecht's brother passed from this life recently. If you would be so kind, no matter when you may read this, please offer up a Hail Mary for the repose of his brother's soul and another for peace for William and his family.
5 comments so far:
    Anonymous February 26, 2009 at 3:00 AM , said...

    great debate!

     
    Anonymous February 26, 2009 at 10:17 PM , said...

    James White and his zombie followers continue to show their love of argumentation for the sake of argumentation.
    I was disappointed that this debate was really about nothing except an invention in the mind of John Calvin that really is a joke.
    I know that Reformed types give big time dulia to their spriitual father Calvin that rivals the dulia Catholics/Orthodox give to Mary. How else could one advance such a childish position with such child-like faith. Its akin to Calvin worship.

    Here are some great verses from Jude an 1Tim that reminds me of White and his cronies

    Jude 1:16 These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling [words], having men's persons in admiration because of advantage.

    1Tim 6:4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,

    1Tim 6:5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

     
    Catholic Audio February 26, 2009 at 11:13 PM , said...

    Anon,

    I've gotten frustrated with the Right Reverend White a time or two myself -- once or twice through personal correspondence. Here's the thing -- you've still got to love him. You can detest his theology all you want, but you've gotta' pray for him and ask God to have mercy on him. It prolly wouldn't hurt to pray for Calvin as well, since I'm pretty sure he's in worse shape than Bishop White. Consider it a Lenten sacrifice and a favor to your ol' buddy CatholicAudio.

    God Bless,
    Ryan

     
    Anonymous February 27, 2009 at 10:03 AM , said...

    Ryan,
    I certainly do pray for my Protestant brethren. I was one myself and my wife still is.
    I have been impressed with White's debate skills in the past, but the more I listen to him, the more I see that he is interested in arguing about terms and language.
    This issue really took the cake although White wasn't the actual debater.

    His quote mining of the ECFs is really the main thing that made me start to lose a lot of respect for Him.

    The fact that he won't debate Bob Sungenis anymore (and the weak reasons for doing so)is another reason. He likes a predermined outcome (at least on style points).

     
    Anonymous February 28, 2009 at 1:34 AM , said...

    I really like William Albrecht's stuff. I have heard a few of his debates and he's got great stuff. Too bad I bet he'll become another sedevacantist like Matatics. Who wants to bet that he'll hit that train sooner or later?

     

Copyright Sonitus Sanctus | Using the GreenTech Theme | Bloggerized by Falcon Hive.com